We dedicated three pages on our literacy workbook to letter y.
Before practicing their writing skills, the children came up with their own words such as yellow, yard, yell, yawn, yes and yoghurt.
We also played a game on the interactive whiteboard where we saw pictures of words which start with y and they had to spot them out.
Jolly Phonics Extra Letter Sounds Book – /y/
Here is how the pages looked like.
Success Criteria to be able to write letter y–
- You start writing this letter from the top.
- First you go down.
- You have to go round and not do a sleeping line.
- The round part does not have to be too narrow or too wide.
- When you go back up, the line has to be the same size as the first line.
- Don’t forget to go down and make a hook.
The children saw this video clip:
The jolly phonics letter y song –