As you saw from the topic work blog during the 12th week we worked with letter h for hedgehog. This letter is also a one-armed robot letter just like the letters m and r before it.
The children were very enthusiastic to say words which start with the h sound. These are some of the words they mentioned, heart, hand, hay, hungry, hug, hat, hen and Hailey x 2 :).
Besides writing this letter on the interactive whiteboard, they wrote it in sand and rice. As usual they practiced writing this letter on their workbooks as well. This is how the pages looked like:
I also stressed the following points to help the children get the correct formation:
- Letter h is written in one motion. We do not lift the pencil from the paper whilst writing it.
- We always start from the top where there is the dot and NOT from the bottom.
- Letter h has a tall back and a small tunnel. It resembles a chair when you look at it from the side.
- We try and go up on the same middle line to start the small tunnel.
- The tunnels have to be round at the top and not pointy.
- The tunnel cannot go up all the way or it becomes a n instead.
Letter h song –
After we finished working the usual 3 pages with letter h we had another letter blending section. These were the words the children blended using their flashcards.
Please refer to the previous blogs regarding the blending sessions. You will also find them in the literacy section.