The first letter for the 11th week was m for mouse.
By now most of the children in class got used to the idea of trying to come up with words which start with a particular sound.
These are some of the words they came up with: mummy, man, mug, milk, moon and mirror.
Just like the letter r of the previous week, letter m is a one-armed robot letter because the small piece at the top of the letter looks like an arm. Besides writing this letter on the interactive whiteboard they wrote this letter on their workbooks.
This is how the pages looked like:
I also stressed the following points to help the children get the correct formation:
- Letter m is written in one motion. We do not lift the pencil from the paper whilst writing it.
- We always start from the top where there is the dot and NOT from the bottom. This m is not like the McDonalds logo.
- Letter m has 2 tunnels.
- We try and go up on the same middle line to start the 2nd
- The tunnels have to be of the same size.
- The tunnels have to be round at the top and not pointy.
Letter m song was amongst the many songs the children heard and sang to –
After we finished working with letter m we had a revision page for the 1st letter sounds r, n and m.