As you all know by now we started writing the numbers.
The children were very eager to start putting pencil to paper. Before we write we go through the work we would have done in term 1 on that number.
We practice its value, say its name and see who helps us write it. We also look at a number line and see where the number stands on the line since we are not writing the numbers one after the other.
Last week besides number 1 the children wrote number 7. For those children who find it difficult to remember the shape of number 7, I always remind them that Ms. Giraffe helps us shape 7.
However our main focus is more on the rhyme at this point because it guides them with the formation.
It is very important that the proper steps are used for writing 7. The children have to say the steps that are in the rhyme or use language which is close to this rhyme, whilst writing. Here is how our number writing pages look like.
Other important points
- I always remind the children that we start writing from the line at the top left and proceed to the right side, than we go down to the next line and start from the left hand side at the very edge. Usually whilst explaining I physically show them on paper as they might not know right from left. Also children at this age have a tendency to just pick a box and fill it in and then choose another at random.
- “Across the sky” starts from the left to the right. They need a reminder for this at times because they might write the mirror image of number 7.
- For number 7 we do not cut the number at the middle like some people are used do.
- I also remind them from time to time to remain in the box whilst writing.
- If they have just a dot in a box, that is not a mistake but they have to use their imagination and remember how to form the number. At times they would need guidance from where to start and to where they need to proceed.