Catch Up Time !!!
The second letter for the 10th week was letter u – under. The children saw that Father Christmas puts the presents under the Christmas Tree. Even we put presents under the Christmas Tree which we open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.
We proceeded to think about other words which start with the u sound. We came up with the following words umbrella, under, up, upside down, underneath and us.
The children used their own bodies to express some of these words such as under the table, they stretched high up to show up.
Important – Since we are working with the letter sounds and not the letter names we cannot mention the children words like uniform, unicorn. If the children mention them I make them aware that we are working on the sound and that these specific words start with the name of the letter.
The children also followed the Jolly phonics story for the letter u sound:
A family goes out for a walk. It is very sunny, but the children insist on taking their new umbrellas. Everyone laughs until they notice some big clouds on the horizon. Up go the umbrellas, /u,u,u,u/ and the children stay nice and dry. Everyone else gets wet.
Jolly Phonic Rhyme Letter u sound
The children pretend to put up an umbrella saying, /u,u,u,u/.
Letter u formation
- Step 1 – Start at the top, go down
- Step 2 – Go round
- Step 3 – Go up
- Step 4 – Go down
- Step 5 – And make a tail.
As usual the children used the rainbow technique to form the letter on their scrapbook. The craft associated with this letter was a big letter u which the children stuck onto their scrapbook, a small tree stuck on the side and tiny presents stuck underneath the tree.
Practice Ideas For Home
- You can practice the letter formation by using a white board and colourful washable markers using the steps above.
- You can have some letter magnets stuck to the fridge or a magnetic board. Some of these letters are the letter u. Ask your child to remove the u from the rest of the letters.
- You can have about 5 objects or pictures on the table, amongst which you have objects starting with the letter u sound.
- Say the name of each object emphasizing and exaggerating the first letter sound of each object and ask your child if that object or picture starts with the letter sound u. This is a skill which needs loads of practice, so don’t get worried if they are not understanding exactly what this means. Praise at this point is very important to build their confidence 🙂