Term 1 Week 5 Revision and Letter h
So far we have finished working on the first set of the jolly phonics letters. The letters were s,a,t,i,p,n. In class we went through all the rhyme songs and actions of these letters, as well as their formation.
The children experimented with trying to write the letters sounds on their mini whiteboard after doing the formation on the big whiteboard with their finger. We also created a story where Harriette the witch made a delicious soup with various ingredients all starting with the s,a,t,i,p,n letters and pretended to put them in our class cauldron.
We then moved on to discovering one of the new letters for this week – h for hat. This letter was associated with the h for hat we tackled during our topic work.
The children found out that there are many words which start with the letter h sound. Some of which are linked to Halloween too. Words like hat, haunted, house, We then moved on to other objects starting with h, such as hill, hand, hair, hedgehog, hot, horse, heart. Some of these words are found in the jolly phonics picture story below. We also mentioned the two Haileys we have in class.
The jolly phonics story for the letter h sound is this.
It is the school’s summer fun day. Some children are in the hopping race. It is a hot day and by the time they have finished, the children are huffing and puffing, saying, /h,h,h,h/.
Action of the letter h sound
The action done when saying the h sound is associated with the picture story like all the other letter actions are. Hold up your hand in front of your mouth and pretend to pant, saying h,h,h.
Jolly Phonic Rhyme Letter h sound
- Step 1 – Start at the top , go down
- Step 2 – A small bounce up
- Step 3 – Tunnel
- Step 4 – And tail
Practice Ideas For Home
- You can practice the letter formation by using a white board and colourful washable markers using the steps above.
- You can place about 5 objects or pictures on the table, amongst which you have objects starting with the letter h sound.
- Look for things around you which start with the h Say the name of each object emphasizing and exaggerating the first letter sound of each object and ask your child if that object or picture starts with the letter sound h. This is a skill which needs loads of practice, so don’t get worried if they are not understanding as yet what this means. Praise at this point is very important to build their confidence 🙂
When working with this letter besides using the interactive whiteboard the children also worked on their letter scrapbook where they created their own magic hat by gluing some fairy dust (glitter) on top and then stuck 5 stars stickers.