During the fourth week we worked on letter p. This letter was associated with the p for pet we tackled during all this week in topic work and show and tell.
The children found out that there are many animals which start with the letter p sound. Words like pig, panda, polar bear, and parrot. We then moved on to other objects starting with p, such as some animals have 4 paws, pink, purple, popcorn, present, paint. Some of these words are found in the jolly phonics picture story below.
The jolly phonics story for the letter p sound is this.
A boy is having a birthday party. He opens his presents and plays some party games. Then he puffs out the candles on his cake. They are trick candles and keep relighting. Everyone tries to puff out the candles, going /p,p,p,p/.
Jolly Phonic Rhyme Letter p sound
The action done when saying the p sound is associated with the picture story like all the other letter actions are. Hold up your finger as if it is a candle and pretend to puff it out, saying p.p.p.
- Step 1 – Start at the top, go down
- Step 2 – Bounce up
- Step 3 – And make a head.
Practice Ideas For Home
- You can practice the letter formation by using a white board and colourful washable markers using the steps above.
- You can place about 5 objects or pictures on the table, amongst which you have objects starting with the letter p sound.
- Say the name of each object emphasizing and exaggerating the first letter sound of each object and ask your child if that object or picture starts with the letter sound p. This is a skill which needs loads of practice, so don’t get worried if they are not understanding at first what this means. Praise at this point is very important to build their confidence 🙂
When working with this letter besides using the interactive whiteboard the children also worked on their letter scrapbook where they created their own colourful parrot and decorated it with some feathers.
Here are their works of art 🙂