The second letter tackled this week was the letter i sound. Even this letter was associated with animal awareness – i for insects.
During this lesson the children mentioned that they like very few insects such as butterflies and ladybirds. The general feeling was that they do not like most insects. The children learnt that insects have 8 legs.
Other objects mentioned were igloo, iguana, ink, ice and ice-berg. It was pointed out that the last two words start with the letter name rather than the sound, they are special.
The jolly phonics story for the letter i sound is this.
A family has a white pet mouse. One night the cage door is left open and the mouse escapes. It runs along the desk and knocks over an ink bottle. The mouse is splashed by the ink. It squeaks, /i,i,i,i/ and tries to scrub it off. Now the mouse is called Inky.
Jolly Phonic Rhyme Letter i sound
The action done when saying the p sound is associated with the picture story like all the other letter actions are. Pretend to be a mouse by wriggling fingers at the end of nose and squeak /i,i,I,i/.
- Step 1 – Start at the top , go down
- Step 2 – tail, lift pencil
- Step 3 – Dot
Practice Ideas For Home
- You can practice the letter formation by using a white board and colourful washable markers using the steps above.
- You can place about 5 objects or pictures on the table, amongst which you have objects starting with the letter i sound.
- Say the name of each object emphasizing and exaggerating the first letter sound of each object and ask your child if that object or picture starts with the letter sound i. This is a skill which needs loads of practice, so don’t get worried if they are not understanding at first what this means. Praise at this point is very important to build their confidence 🙂
When working with this letter besides using the interactive whiteboard the children also worked on their literacy workbooks and letter scrapbook where they created their own colourful insects and decorated it with square shapes.
This shape was tackled this week during the numeracy lessons. See the numeracy section for further information.